BRIEF HISTORY OF DEPARTMENT OF LAW
The Faculty of Law, University of Lucknow is a pioneer legal institution of India. It was established in 1921 with three teachers. Mr. Jag Mohan Nath Chak was its first Dean. The real architect was Prof. R. U. Singh who with great zeal and enthusiasm organized teaching and research in the faculty in the systematic way. He held office of the Dean, Faculty of Law till 1956. He also structured the Law Faculty of Delhi University and Law School, B.H.U. The distinction goes to him that he drafted the Constitution of Nepal.
Dr. V. N. Shukla, the well-known authority on Constitutional Law was the first LL.M. of the University. His book on the Constitution is an authoritative Volume. Dr. A.T. Markos was the first LL.D. of the faculty. He also held the office of the Director, Indian Law Institute.
The first Post Graduate Diploma in Criminology was started in 1964. The Post Graduate Diploma in “Environmental Pollution Law”, “Consumer Protection Law”, “Labour and Personnel Management” were started in 1994. The Post Graduate Diploma in “Criminal Procedure and Advocacy” was started in the year 1995. The Faculty has introduced LL.B. (Hons.) Five Year Course in 1995. The Faculty offers Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Doctoral and Post-Doctoral Programmes. The Faculty has introduced CBCS System in LL.M. Programme. The Faculty is running a Centre of Excellence on Gandhian Dream of Litigation Free Village. The Faculty was runner up in K.K. Luthra Memorial Moot Court in 2018. The Faculty hosts Dr. R.U. Singh Memorial National Moot Court. The Faculty publishes its flagship Journal ‘Lucknow Law Journal.’
Campus : The Law Faculty was separated from main Campus and shifted to the new Campus having a total area of more than 75 acres located on the Sitapur Road, Lucknow from 2002-03. The newly constructed three storied building has twenty-four lecture rooms, 2 model class rooms with smartboard, libraries, legal aid hospital etc. Distance from Lucknow Railway Station is nearly 12 kilometers. The Faculty has residential facilities for students and staff. The campus has two Girl's hostel, two Boy's hostels, staff quarters and a well-equipped Canteen, Play-ground among others including Bank and Police outpost. Thus, the campus is a self-contained unit to provide all infrastructural facilities to teachers as well as students. A congenial atmosphere and environment have been created where professional excellence and human virtues are being cultivated.
Some of the distinguished law graduates of the faculty of law, Lucknow University are as follows: