Institute of Women's Studies, University of Lucknow
Institute of Women's Studies, University of Lucknow was established in 1997 approved by Executive Council 1998 under Section 44 of U P State Universities. It started as a two year Post Graduate course in Women's Studies. The ph.D. program in women's study was also introduced in 2003.
Mission Statement: To create an environment and sensitize all members of society to come on board as partners to develop a just society that is inclusive, free from violence and discrimination and one that promotes social and economic empowerment of women by creating awareness amongst society about their rights.
- The institute has been working as a force for change in the world, change which strives to achieve intellectual freedom, social justice, and equality for all people.
- The institute seeks to develop a new generation of scholars and leaders who, with us, will work to acknowledge, understand, and critically interrogate human differences so that the institute may advance knowledge about the possibilities for equality and respect for all.
- The institute trusts that it can indeed make the world better through the knowledge it will produce, the minds it will nurture, and change its effects around us.
- The institute provides a platform to become an even more welcoming physical, material, and intellectual space. This would invite people in and make it possible for them to stay, talk, explore, brainstorm, share, build, develop, and grow.
The vision of the Institute: To empower women in India to live with dignity so that they can contribute as valued partners in the sustainable development of the self, families and the nation.
- The vision of the institute is to ensure that the expansion of gender-aware educational opportunities and the active support of feminist and related fields of research are essential parts of the institute’s academic agenda. Further, the institute also promotes all forms of gender equity in ways that reflect the needs and aspirations of women and marginalized communities at the institutional level and beyond.
- The institute also strives to enhance the institute's National and International leadership role in the growing field of women's, gender and sexuality studies through continued excellence in research, teaching and service.
- Ph.D. program is eventually running with number of Research Scholars funded by agencies like UGC and ICSSR.
- Presently the Master’s program is running in the Institute, this is done by providing outstanding education in Women’s Studies through excellent teaching, engaged mentoring, path-breaking researches and dedicated community services.
- Besides time to time, special lectures/talks will be organized for students to witness the latest development and changing trends in topics.
- New session July 2020 the syllabus is following the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS). The CBCS provides choice for students to select from the prescribed courses (core, elective or minor or soft skill courses).
- A special focus of the syllabus is on an internship, fieldwork, seminar, pre-post writing and presentations that will be done by students with faculty supervision.
- Mental health and women, Psychology and Women and Counseling for women across Lifespan, Women Entrepreneurship, are some highlights of the new syllabus.
- Another coming up feature of the institute is introducing certificate course 6 months (10 + 2) on Garbh Sanskar the sole aim of this course is to sensitize not only females but students in general to the issues related to an important phase of human life that is pregnancy. Course highlights diet yoga, human physiology, psychology and issues related to couples, family, etc.
- To make this course more intensive a PG diploma one year that is 2-semester course is also being introduced that entails the importance of counseling pre and postnatal care, faulty Lifestyle, hazards during the pregnancy period, yoga, neurological development, meditation, mindfulness, the importance of positive thinking concept, IVF and surrogate mothers.
- Beside practical exposure in terms of internship fieldwork and practical training with faculty supervision in both the courses would make students eligible for: international and national projects as resource directors/ assistance, working in the area of the wellbeing of women and child. This can provide career opportunities in IVF center Hospitals, Maternity Centers, the Anganwadi program, and community workers in various institutes and government programs.
- Benefits of Garbh Sanskar: It is up to the mother to shape up the first impressions of the baby. Positive thinking and a positive attitude can go a long way in ensuring the mental and physical well- being of the mother, which is linked to well- being of the baby inside her womb as well. Garbh Sanskar helps develop that eternal bond between the mother and her unborn child.